The deck of a ship is a horizontal structure, covering the starboard surface to port and from stern to bow . It can be designed with metal or wood materials. It has different heights compared to the keel. There is a space between the roofs that is called the span between. All kinds of deck accessories here
Any cover structure is made up of the following elements:
- Covering lining : it consists of strakes that are located longitudinally, however for intermediate covers can be located crosswise.
- The beams: it is integrated by the support elements of the roofs, the beams are located crosswise, they serve as support for the surface of the roof, help in the transverse resistance, the beams are generally “L” shaped but they also exist the “T” shaped beams.
- Lengths: they are components of longitudinal support to the cover. The number of lengths is generally small, its function is to hold the beams and the support points of the struts.
- Longitudinal roof: they provide longitudinal support to the roof, have characteristics similar to that of the bathroom.
Some types of covers that can exist in a boat are:
- The bridge.
- Accommodation covers, which can be for first officer and captain, second officers, third officers and crew.
- The main deck, which is the one that is located outdoors.
- The control deck of the engine room.
- The cover of machines.
- The double bottom cover.
The main deck is the highest platform of the boat , it is located from bow to stern, it is always in contact with the outside, it is covered with a curvature towards the side to make it easier to remove the waters. The covers receive different names, they can be run or with jumps . The runs go through the ship end to end, the second have levels.